Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Children



The children's stories are always the hardest for me. Perhaps because they seem the most complicated cases. Perhaps because they hit too close to home. Perhaps because it all just seems so damn unfair. But what never fails to strike me when I hear these tales is how courageous and strong and hopeful they are, these children. Regardless.

This is one such story on YouTube here.

I remember when my son was first correctly diagnosed. It felt like we were alone. Like no one else knew or understood or cared. No one was going through what we were.

Was it true? No. Not really. I know that now. But then things have changed, of course. Everyone has a computer, Internet. They can speak out through blogs and videos and emails. It's easier now to discover you're not the only one.

Easier, however, is a bit like saying you're almost there when you've just finished mile one in a twenty-six mile marathon, isn't it? You've gone far. You just haven't gone very far, and you definitely haven't gone far enough.

The trick, I suppose, is to keep putting one sneakered foot in front of the other until you kick off from exhaustion or finish the damn race.

Our thoughts, prayers, best wishes, and thanks to this family for sharing their story and speaking out.

Let us keep running, eh?

Link provided courtesy of PattiG.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, have the tisue's at hand to watch this moving video!
    While I've been coping w/CM's for 23 yrs, I still can't imagine what it must be like for the parents of CM patients or any other devistating disorder or illness.
    My heart goes out to you...
    PattiG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet I can't imagine what it would be like to be a CM patient. :( I look at how strong my son is, how strong you and the others are, and I don't know if I could be.

    CMs truly suck. There's no other way to say it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, hi. Did you have something you wished to say? Yes? Excellent.